It is a requirement of the programme that students study at least one subject from group 1.
In group 1, students will study literature, including selections of literature in translation, and may choose to combine this with language or performance studies, depending on their choice of course. Students will choose to study their group 1 subject(s) in a language in which they are academically competent.
In studying the group 1 courses, students are able to develop:
- a personal appreciation of language and literature
- skills in literary criticism
- an understanding of the formal, stylistic and aesthetic qualities of texts
- strong powers of expression, both written and oral
- an appreciation of cultural differences in perspective
The range of texts studied in language A courses is broad, and students grow to appreciate a language’s complexity, wealth and subtleties in a variety of contexts. A specific aim is to engender a lifelong interest in literature and a love for the elegance and richness of human expression.